Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Forgiveness in Trying Times

I yelled at my son the other day over a towel.

He had used a new towel instead of re-using his other towel, (that was still perfectly clean), after I had told him which towel to use.

In my defense, I was utterly exhausted and fed up with the endless laundry our house generates daily. However, that was not a good enough reason to yell at my child like I did. I felt awful and after I calmed down I came in to where he was sitting. I sat next to him and told him I was sorry and asked for his forgiveness.

My
sweet boy forgave me and said he understood. What am I teaching my children as I go through this difficult time? I think I am teaching them that we do the best we can but sometimes we still break. But then we put ourselves back together and try to right the wrong we have caused. That there is no shame in admitting an error and asking for forgiveness.

There is great honor in granting that forgiveness as well. I'm not perfect and therefore, my children know that I don't expect perfection
from them either.

Later that evening I let him stay up ½ hour later than normal. We read books side by side on my bed, enjoying our companionable silence. He thinks
that getting to stay up late was a reward for putting up with his crazy mommy.

I know that the reward was actually for me, getting to spend some happy, quiet time with my firstborn son. It was my reward for trying my best, however far from perfection that may be.

1 comment:

dahlenw said...

Awesome entry! Thank you so much for sharing!