Sunday, May 31, 2009

Midnight Mayhem!

I am enjoying the moments with the kids even though I'm going crazy. I can't believe how fast they are all growing up. The only one who still has that baby softness is Sam, and he's such a whirling dervish most of the time!

Last night at midnight, he came in to say he didn't feel so good. Then, of course....BARF!!! All over the floor and splattered on the bed. Then he stepped in it and slipped and I went to help him and I slipped too. So Tom lifted Sam out over the mess and deposited him in the tub. By then I had extricated myself and headed to the bathroom to clean up Sam and myself. So we spent the next 1/2 hour cleaning up and comforting Sam, mopping up, pulling the bedding off, starting a load of laundry, all with the back doors flung wide open and the fan on high to get rid of the smell.

Then I covered the bed with soft towels, brought Sam into my bed with the bucket nearby, crawled in and collapsed. Luckily he fell right asleep and slept right through. He woke up this morning feeling fine, full of sunshine, thank goodness.

One of the things that battling cancer has given me is a bit of perspective. I won't say that slipping barefoot in vomit is fun, (and don't let anyone else tell that to you that either :), but simply being well enough to take care of a midnight emergency like that is something that I'm eternally thankful for. I hope to keep that kind of appreciation forever and make it a part of who I am.

Until next time. . . Ema

No comments: