Friday, May 9, 2008

A Trip to the Emergency Room - But Ema is Fine

For the past four days, Ema has had quite a bit of pain in her affected leg right above and to the inside of the kneecap. We both attributed it to walking around the OC swapmeet for a couple of hours on Sunday which represented the most walking she had done at one time in a while. But by Thursday evening when the pain wasn't going away, we stopped attributing it to sore muscles.

This painful area also was slightly discolored and was warm to the touch. I, being a knee-jerk hypochondriac with just enough medical knowledge to cause problems, assumed a femoral aneurysm or DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Those two ideas were enough for Ema to agree to call her doctor at 8:30 last night. The doctor-on-call suggested we go to our local hospital and have a sonogram (ultrasound) run on that leg to rule out any blood clots or other nasties.

We were in and out in just about two hours which ain't bad for an emergency room in a city of any size. No blood vessel trauma or anything else showed up on the sonogram. The doctor gave her a prescription for antibiotics because he suspects, with her compromised immune system, she might develop cellulitis, which is an infection in connective tissues under the skin.

Home at 11:00 on a school (work) night means I'm tired this morning. Buy hey - this isn't about me - right?!? Ema will rest today, keep the leg elevated and report any worsening of the affected area to her doctor, if needed.

Now, I'm off to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Va and a cancer survivor! I did not see a guestbook here so forgive me if I am doing this wrong :)
Ema, I wanted to stop in say hello. Your Aunt asked me to pray for you and I have prayed for your whole family. If it is ok, I would like to put you on the prayer list at our church.
I clung to this while I was in treatment and hope it helps you a bit:
What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited ...
It cannot cripple love,
It cannot shatter hope,
It cannot corrode faith,
It cannot eat away at peace,
It cannot destroy confidence,
It cannot kill friendship,
It cannot shut out memories,
It cannot invade the soul,
it cannot reduce eternal life,
It cannot quench the spirit,
It cannot lessen the power
of the resurrection.
Anonymous

Ema, Fight Fight Fight! Pray Pray Pray! Win Win Win!!!!!